Wednesday, July 25, 2018

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

Thought For The Day

“Faith does not need to push the river because faith is able to trust that there is a river. The river is flowing. We are in it.”

- Richard Rohr

In my past life I traveled a LOT.  And, like most travelers, I griped and complained about the indignities and travails of life on the road. I fought against the system with all my might, with predictable results.

Then one day I had an epiphany. While flying over the Mississippi River I thought, is not travel akin to immersing myself into the current of a great river? What happens if I try to fight the current of a river like the Mississippi?

And from that moment I thought of my travels as a trip on a great river. The current may take many twists and turns, and I may get held up in some whirlpool or backwater, but I will always reach my intended destination. By changing the way I thought, not only did my anxiety and frustration with travel disappear, but I seemed to have fewer travel problems. Or maybe they just didn’t bother me anymore.

As Richard Rohr points out, traveling through life is like floating on a great river. We are in it and it’s moving inexorably towards some destination. It’s pointless to resist. Are you frustrated with the trajectory of your life?  Do you have the faith to trust in the direction God’s current takes you or do you continue to resist?

Perhaps it’s time to lay back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment